**FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE**
January 29, 2021
Contact: Yuridia Peña, [email protected], (718) 790-0837
SHAUN DONOVAN RELEASES PLAN FOR “15 MINUTE NEIGHBORHOODS” TO ENSURE EVERY NEW YORKER HAS ACCESS TO HIGH-QUALITY SERVICES AND OPPORTUNITIES NEAR THEIR HOME
Aimed at revitalizing communities and supporting local businesses, the second part of Mayoral candidate Shaun Donovan’s two-part Economic Recovery Platform sets out to create “15 minute neighborhoods,” ensuring that every New Yorker has access to a great public school, fresh food, rapid transportation, a park, and a chance to get ahead within 15 minutes of their front door.
The plan supports local business through an NYC Entrepreneurship Financing Fund and simplified regulation, introduces state-of-the art neighborhood health clinics in every neighborhood, commits to universal internet connection, and focuses these efforts first in communities where investment has historically lagged.
NEW YORK, NY — Former Obama-Biden Administration Housing Secretary and Budget Director Shaun Donovan continued his Campaign of Ideas today by releasing the second part of his two-part Economic Recovery Platform, entitled A ‘15 Minute Neighborhoods’ Plan for a Brighter, More Equitable Future and focused on supporting local businesses and communities. The nearly 2,500-word second installment outlines how the city can make every neighborhood one where any New Yorker, not just those with resources, can have access to the services, goods, and opportunities that they need.
This plan comes a week after the first installment of Donovan’s Economic Recovery Platform — titled A Jobs Plan that Rebuilds the Economy For All New Yorkers — which outlines how the city can add 500,000 jobs for New Yorkers by the end of Donovan’s first term. This ambitious goal is only attainable through Donovan’s comprehensive approach.
“If you’ve lived in a wealthy neighborhood, you may never have known a New York where anything you wanted was not immediately accessible to you. We must have a city where the same benefits of New York life are available to all,” said NYC Mayoral Candidate Shaun Donovan. “We need a city committed to investing in neighborhoods and communities, and the small businesses and entrepreneurs that power them, and to driving job growth, stimulating entrepreneurship, sustaining the environment, enhancing the quality of life of all New Yorkers. Every family should have the opportunity to live in a 15 minute neighborhood, where a great public school, fresh food, access to rapid transportation, a park, and a chance to get ahead can all be found within 15 minutes of their front door. With this plan, the policies I’ve introduced so far, and the many still to come, we can make this vision a reality.”
The platform emphasizes a two-pronged approach consisting of building thriving neighborhoods and committing to making New York the safest, most accessible city.
Highlights of the platform include:
- Creating the first neighborhood-based investments in communities where public and private investments have lagged, and always involving residential tenants, property owners, and business owners in decision-making about investments, capital projects, and changes in zoning and regulations.
- Nurturing entrepreneurship, especially among immigrants and Black and Latinx New Yorkers, providing technical assistance that is anchored in proven approaches.
- Strengthening the minority and women-owned business enterprises (MWBE) network and infrastructure to ensure we are making the most equity-minded decisions when determining and awarding contracting opportunities.
- Establishing the NYC Entrepreneurship Financing Fund and leveraging public, private, and philanthropic investments to fund it.
- Galvanizing business formation, investment, and job growth in New York’s neighborhoods by creating the most thoughtful and consistent regulatory environment for small businesses in the United States.
- Encouraging the concentration of retail offerings in neighborhood retail districts and dramatically increasing flexibility, allowing for a wider range of ground floor uses.
- Investing in enhanced public space and transportation to enable more resilient local business corridors that are safe, walkable, and convenient to local residents, including sidewalk improvements, high-quality transit facilities (e.g. bus shelters, up-to-the-minute trip information) and safe bike and scooter lanes.
- Committing affirmatively to a standard of universal accessibility in local transit improvements.
- Leveraging our robust public health system and expanding health care service delivery directly in 15 minute neighborhoods, introducing state-of-the art neighborhood health clinics that are integrated in neighborhood retail corridors
- Setting standards for trash removal, street cleaning, and graffiti removal, and working in close collaboration with the Department of Sanitation, the Business Improvement Districts (BIDs), and neighborhood groups to ensure a high level of delivery to these standards.
- Fulfilling the long-deferred promise to bring affordable, high-speed internet access to every neighborhood, every retail corridor, and every household in New York City.
A Donovan administration would be committed to ensuring the highest possible quality of life for every New Yorker. The extensive platform for strengthening our city’s communities was lauded by those closest to these issues.
“Where you can afford to live has historically dictated how much of New York City is accessible to you, how much opportunity the city provides, and how comfortably you live. That disparity is one of the main barriers to equity and fairness among New Yorkers, and Shaun Donovan has done a fantastic job of not only recognizing that, but coming up with real solutions,” said Reverend Patricia Malcolm. “There’s no reason why, in the richest city in the world, anyone should be living in a food desert, have to travel long distances to reach their school or their office, or not have good health facilities nearby. Shaun’s 15 Minute Neighborhoods are what every community in our city should look like — healthy, safe, and full of opportunity for everyone.”
For more details on Donovan’s Economic Development Platform, please visit shaunfornyc.com/issues/economic-development/.